The durability of the air conditioner largely depends on the correct operation and quality care. As a result of inconsistent and hasty actions, this device can completely fail. Therefore, in order for your HVAC equipment to work smoothly throughout the hot season, you need to know how to properly start it up after winter.
It should be borne in mind that failure of the air conditioner due to improper technical maintenance or lack thereof will not be recognized as a warranty case. Therefore, the repair or complete replacement of equipment will be entirely on the shoulders of its owner. To avoid such unpleasant lessons, you should familiarize yourself with a few simple rules, the implementation of which will be the key to the efficient and smooth operation of equipment.
So how do you turn on the air conditioner after a long period of inactivity? In fact, there are several simple rules that are mandatory for every owner of HVAC equipment.
The operating instructions for the device always indicate at what temperature the air conditioner can be turned on. As a rule, these indicators range from 0 to -5 ˚C. Thus, the device should not be turned on until the air warms up to the required temperature. In addition, there is no particular need to turn on the air conditioner at low temperatures.
Cleaning the system
The air conditioner consists of indoor and outdoor units, each of which needs to be cleaned regularly, especially before starting.
Filters and internal parts should be cleaned at least once a month. And after a long winter inactivity, this procedure should be carried out especially carefully: the indoor unit is rinsed with water, and it is best to use a compressor with compressed air to clean the outside. If you ignore these recommendations, then the equipment may fail. People who are in a room where an uncleaned appliance is used will breathe dust and dirt that spreads inside the room when it is first turned on.
Before turning on the air conditioner, inspect the fan blades and the grill, which prevents leaves, poplar fluff, twigs and other foreign objects from entering them. If you find that the grille needs cleaning, you can call a specialist or clean it yourself. To do this, the device must be disconnected from the power supply so that the moving fan blades do not injure your hands.
A mandatory step before starting is checking the electrical contacts and electronic components of the device. If malfunctions are found, it is best to call specialists who have special equipment to check the functionality of the compressor and other parts.
System pressure and freon refueling
Checking the pressure in the system and refueling with freon are also necessary before starting the air conditioner. The main source that maintains its performance is freon. Freon leakage can lead to equipment breakdown. However, you should also remember about the so-called standardized leakage, which is considered an inevitable phenomenon caused by the peculiarities of the connection of the indoor and outdoor units.Freon is not dangerous for a person in the room, but if it is not enough in the air conditioner system, then the device can work with significant interruptions.
Checking the outlet air temperature
After checking the air conditioner and cleaning it, check which air is coming out of the ventilation grill. Normally, it should be cold. To determine the degree of coldness of the air, subtract the temperature of the air entering the device from the temperature of the air that leaves. This value is called delta T temperature. The normal value for it is a temperature of -11 to -6 C˚. In the case when the temperature of the discharged air is below -11 C˚, the air conditioner will not be able to effectively cool the air in very hot weather. If the temperature is higher than -6 C˚, then the operation of the system may be disrupted.
Turning on the air conditioner
After winter, with the onset of the first warm days, you can start starting the air conditioner. To do this, follow these steps:
- make sure that the temperature outside is not below 0 C˚;
- disconnect the air conditioner from the network;
- take all the necessary steps to clean the equipment;
- check the operation of the batteries in the remote control, replace if necessary;
- connect the device to the network;
- make sure that the room temperature is at least 20 C˚, select the cooling mode on the remote control, turn on the air conditioner and set the minimum temperature (18 C˚). In this case, the fan rotation speed should be maximum;
- wait a while, when cold air comes out of the air conditioner, leave it to work in this mode for 10-15 minutes. Then you should try the operation of the fan at different speeds, the operation of the shutter. If the device responds well to all manipulations (it blows weaker or stronger, moves the curtain), then this means that the device is in good working order and ready for the summer season.
When do you need to see a specialist?
- If the radiator of the outdoor unit is very dirty.
- If the outdoor unit is damaged (for example, its case is broken).
- If the air conditioner does not blow cold air when set to cooling mode 10 minutes after starting.
- If the air is not cold enough.
- When there is extraneous noise in the device.
- In the event of any incomprehensible situations (there is no reaction to the remote control, the lights are blinking or the air conditioner refuses to work at all).
The air conditioner requires care and attention from its owner. Compliance with the above rules and recommendations will extend the life of your device and ensure its efficient operation for many years.